Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. — John 14:13-17
This text reminds us of the immense love and generosity of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It is a profound reassurance that whenever we call upon his name, he listens, and in his boundless love, he promises to respond to our prayers.
Jesus is giving immensely here. First, he guarantees to give us to greater work. Second, we know he is about to give his life. Third, this means he is going to give us eternal life. Fourth, he promises to give us a Helper, the Holy Spirit, to be with and empower us. And fifth, he promises to give us what we ask for in his name.
Jesus gives immensely more than we can ask and imagine.
And he asks only one thing of us—obedience. That's it. So what is this obedience?
Well, throughout the Gospel of John, I find eight attributes that define this obedience:
- Repenting: Obedience requires a change to go and sin no more (John 8:1-11).
- Surrendering: Obedience demands surrendering to God's will by surrendering our will (John 4:34; John 5:30; John 12:25).
- Responding: Obedience involves hearing and acting as sheep that listen and follow (John 10:27).
- Trusting: Obedience is no longer trusting our plan and timing but trusting God's plan and timing (John 7:6).
- Connecting: Obedience is being connected continually to Jesus like a branch to a vine so that we produce fruit (John 15:1-11).
- Serving: Obedience is learned and experienced through the willingness to "go low and wash the feet" of others (John 13:1-17).
- Witnessing: Obedience is seen in our enthusiasm to share boldly about Jesus (John 15:26-27, John 16:7-11).
- Enduring: Obedience results in life-long endurance with Jesus through life's challenges (John 6:68).
So which of these eight requires your attention today? Take action and give obediently, as Jesus gave to you. And as you give to him obediently, do so prayerfully. Because the man who does is always connected to the Savior's teachings, will, and actions this is the man the Savior hears and answers.
1. How can I actively demonstrate my obedience to Jesus daily, surrendering my will to his and seeking to follow his teachings wholeheartedly?
2. How can I deepen my connection with Jesus, allowing the Holy Spirit to empower me and produce fruit that glorifies God?
DO THIS: Give him your obedience and pray.
PRAY THIS: Dear Lord, help me to walk in obedience to your will, surrendering my desires and seeking your guidance in all aspects of my life. May your Holy Spirit empower me to bear fruit that brings glory to your name. Amen.
PLAY THIS: Came To My Rescue.
SIGN UP — THE DAILY DEVO
short + biblical + practical
Read through the Bible daily with Vince Miller.