How To Find Accomplishment In Work
I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed. — John 17:4-5
In his prayer, Jesus is discipling us. We get to listen in to an intimate conversation the Son has with the Father, which is a tell-all moment. He discloses a couple of facets of his purpose and mission. Facet one: He is now at the point of accomplishing his mission and work. Facet two: This accomplishment comes with an increasing and infinite glorification.
I think every man wants this same experience in their time on this earth. We want to give our lives to a meaningful mission and purposeful work. One that fully exhausts our skills, gifts, and capabilities. We want work that centers on a worthy mission and results in a feeling of accomplishment and glory. Even Jesus understood this and enjoyed this, as we read here.
But note this about Jesus's work. God determined it. And he submitted to his will so that all glory was God's in the end.
And this is what most men fail to understand about their time on earth. The greatest fulfillment and sense of accomplishment in this life is not work done using our talents, gifts, and abilities for our mission and glory. But instead, work done stewarding the talents, gifts, and abilities given to us by God for his mission and his ever-increasing glory. The great fulfillment of you has nothing to do with you. It has everything to do with God. His mission for you. His design of you. His glory through you.
So, if you are feeling less than accomplished in the work you are doing, which one of these is focused more on you than on God:
- The application of your talents, gifts, and abilities?
- The purpose and mission of your work?
- The glory that they seek?
If one needs addressing, address it. Know this: the greatest sense of accomplishment you will ever know is what Jesus talked about right here. It's a life of work fully aligned with God's mission for his glory.
- Take a moment to assess your current work or mission in life. Are you approaching it with the mindset of glorifying yourself or seeking personal accomplishment, or are you genuinely stewarding your talents and abilities for God's mission and His glory? Reflect on any changes you might need to make to align your work more closely with God's purpose.
- Consider the purpose and mission of your work. Do you believe it reflects God's will and aligns with His plans for you? If not, how can you adjust your focus and efforts to ensure that your work becomes a means of glorifying God and contributing to His mission?
DO THIS: Get aligned, work hard, and be accomplished.
PRAY THIS: Father, grant us the wisdom and strength to align our work and mission with Your divine purpose, just as Jesus did, so that our efforts may bring glory to Your name and fulfill the mission You have entrusted to us. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.
PLAY THIS: I Surrender All.
SIGN UP — THE DAILY DEVO
short + biblical + practical
Read through the Bible daily with Vince Miller.