The Holy Spirit: Getting To Know Him
Remember to post your First and Last Name along with your City and State to win a pre-ordered and signed copy of the following:
Yesterday, we began our journey in getting to know the Holy Spirit. And we began by discovering the Spirit lives within a believer. It dwells within each one of us and lives forever inside of a believer. And I asked you yesterday to make a confession that you have probably ignored the Spirit for far too long.
But the next question you have is probably, "How can I get to know the person of the Holy Spirit better than I do at present?" And if you asked that question, I am going to guide you to a pretty simple answer.
In the New Testament, there are a number of things we learn about the Spirit, and here are three. The Holy Spirit possesses a mind, will, and emotions. Here are three texts that accentuate these attributes:
1 Corinthians 2:10–11 reads:
"For to us God revealed them through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so, the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God."
Ephesians 4:30 reads:
"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."
1 Corinthians 12:11:
"All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills."
These texts reveal some incredible truths about the Holy Spirit who lives within us. He is not an impersonal force. He is not an extraterrestrial concept. He is not a theological musing. The Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Godhead. He is divinely appointed to dwell in us. He possesses a mind, will, and emotions just like we do, and he, if we allow him, will direct our mind, will, and emotions toward holiness, righteousness, and godliness. This is how a believer lives a Spirit-filled life.
Think of it this way:
- The mind of the Spirit tunes our minds to God who renews our thoughts and directs us to wisdom.
- The will of the Spirit tunes our desires and decisions toward God and godly ways.
- The emotions of the Spirit tune our emotions to God's and fill us with joy and justice that come from him.
This reality isn't just a theological truth that is written in a doctrinal statement. It's a truth written by God in you. This is how God comes close and empowers believers. This is how we tune our mind, will, and emotions to his. The more we tune in the more intimate we become.
So are you ready to increase your intimacy with the Holy Spirit?
Choose one of the three following options:
- Tune Your Mind (Seeking Wisdom): Read the Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to guide your understanding. Focus on a specific theme or verses that might speak to the directing you need.
- Tune Your Will (Aligning Desires): Commit a decision to the Holy Spirit today, big or small. Ask the Spirit to align your will to His will.
- Tune Your Emotions (Experience The Divine): Sing, journal, or pray today, expressing a few of your present emotions to God. Invite the Holy Spirit to direct or redirect your emotions with God
- In what specific ways have you sought the guidance of the Holy Spirit in your mind, will, and emotions this week? How has this pursuit deepened your relationship with Him?
- How can you make the daily practice of seeking the Holy Spirit's wisdom, aligning your desires with His will, and experiencing His emotions a consistent and intentional part of your walk with Christ? What steps will you take starting today?
DO THIS: Choose one of the three options above and do it.
PRAY THIS: Holy Spirit, guide me in Your wisdom, align my desires with Your will, and fill me with Your emotions of joy, peace, and love. Lead me daily as I seek to know You better so that I might reflect Christ in all I do. Amen.
PLAY THIS: I Believe, I Declare.
SIGN UP — THE DAILY DEVO
short + biblical + practical
Read through the Bible daily with Vince Miller.