What Does It Mean To "Live In The Name?"
And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. — John 17:11-12
This part of Jesus's prayer for the disciples describes his concern for us. Jesus sees the future adversity they will face as men, and he foretells the challenge and the only solution. It is this: They will have to live "in the world," but as they do, they must be sons who live "in the name" of their Father.
So what does this mean? What does it mean to live "in the name?" And what does Jesus mean when he asks the Father to "keep them in His name?"
Simply put, to live "in the name" is to live a life directed by the Word of God and fully surrender to God's Will. It is to embrace his spoken Word and adhere to it at a motivational level. Thus, to live in the name is a declaration of deepest allegiance. It is not attained by placing a fish sticker on your car, getting a verse tattooed on your body, or listening to Christian radio in your vehicle. It is not determined by how much you give, serve, or attend church activities. It reaches deeper than brand recognition and behavioral change (although these might be signs).
In our world, the struggle to live "in the name" is a second-by-second and moment-by-moment challenge. God's Word and God's Will are constantly under attack. This battle is manifest in the world and seen in all the chaos and contention stemming from the agenda and propaganda of the world. But the battleground is within a man's heart. It is within us, and Jesus knew this. And he remained in the name and knew that we would need the Father's help to stay "in the name."
So today, if you have been struggling to live in the name (i.e., the Word and Will of God), then know this:
- Jesus knew living "in the name" would be a challenge for you.
- Jesus also knew you would need the Father's help to live "in his name."
- Jesus asked the Father to help "keep you in his name."
- God hears and answers the prayer of faithful men, and Jesus was a faithful man who "kept his name."
So today, get back up and do it again. Be a man who lives in the name. Hear his Word, live his will, and be kept in the name of the Lord.
- In your daily life, how do you currently strive to live "in the name" of the Father, as described in this devotional? Are there specific practices or habits you've developed to align your life with God's Word and Will?
- Living "in the name" is a constant challenge due to the world's influences. What are some practical steps you can take to overcome the daily battle within your heart and maintain your allegiance to God's Word and Will in the face of worldly distractions and temptations?
DO THIS: Live in the name.
PRAY THIS: Father, I humbly seek Your guidance and strength to live each day in Your name, aligning my life with Your Word and Will. Grant me the perseverance to overcome worldly distractions and remain steadfast in my commitment to You.
PLAY THIS: There Is Power.
SIGN UP — THE DAILY DEVO
short + biblical + practical
Read through the Bible daily with Vince Miller.