So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and struck Job with loathsome sores from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. And he took a piece of broken pottery with which to scrape himself while he sat in the ashes. — Job 2:7-8
What's happened is that Job's has become entirely covered by boils. Boils are these painful, pus-filled blisters under the skin caused by infected hair follicles. Follicles get infected with bacteria, fill with pus, stretch the skin, rupture, and then scar over. A cluster of boils is called a "carbuncle." And Job was covered by one big carbuncle.
I think it is important not to diminish the pain and discomfort that Job endured. In fact, Job chronicles some details of this experience in the chapters that follow. Listen to how he describes it:
- My flesh is clothed with worms and dirt; my skin hardens, then breaks out afresh. (Job 7:5)
- Then you scare me with dreams and terrify me with visions. (Job 7:14)
- My breath is strange to my wife, and I am a stench to the children of my own mother. (Job 19:17)
- My bones stick to my skin and to my flesh. (Job 19:20)
- The night racks my bones, and the pain that gnaws me takes no rest. (Job 30:17)
- With great force my garment is disfigured; it binds me about like the collar of my tunic. (Job 30:18)
- My skin turns black and falls from me, and my bones burn with heat. (Job 30:30)
This wasn't normal suffering. This was extraordinary suffering!
But given all this, Job says this later in his chronicle.
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
and at the last he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been thus destroyed,
yet in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see for myself,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another. (Job 19:25-27)
I don't know if you have experienced this in your life yet. But sometimes, unbelievable suffering results in some of the most unbelievable praise.
So what are you praising God for today? Share that in the comments below. And as you praise, consider what God has brought you through that has resulted in this praise.
ASK THIS: What are you praising God for today? (Share this in the comments below).
DO THIS: Know your Redeemer lives.
PRAY THIS: God, challenges surround me. But show me and others that you are great then all of them. Redeem me, my Redeemer!
PLAY THIS: My Redeemer Lives.
SIGN UP FOR THE DAILY DEVO
short | sweet | daily
Get into the Bible daily with Vince Miller. Cancel anytime.